Friday, May 02, 2008

12am
" Hello ?! Heys ! Jacq ! You there ? "
Silence. hm .. weird . could it be that her phone had ran out of battery ?
I dialed Jacq's house phone number in a hurry.
" Hello ? Is Jacq at home ? "
" .. Jacq . She .. She has fainted . Uh .. we are sending her to the hospital right now .. " Upon hearing that, my heart skipped a beat. Fainted ? What happened . She was fine a moment ago .
On the way to the hospital, i prayed for her well-being. I was seriously starting to get worried . Images of Jacq suffering in pain flashed through my mind. No. She would be fine . Stop scaring yourself, Jaryl !
" She's not in critical condition anymore but i'm afraid she only has 1 more week to live .. " the doctor's voice trailed out of my head. ONE week ? I bet the doctor is kidding. This can't be . No it can't ..
Jacq's mother broke down in tears. She was pulling her husband's sleeve not believing what she had just heard. Her silent whimpers continued in loud wails of crying. All her husband could do was to hold her tight and comforted her though he himself was still in shock. I could see tears welling up in his eyes.
Nope . Am i dreaming? How could all these be possible. This afternoon during our date she was still fine. She was healthy and well . She was NOT like this now. With a heart so pure how could god end her life so early ? That's too selfish . She's not even 17 yet . My heart stopped. Could it be God's playing ? In one week's time is Jacq's 17 birthday. And yet she have to face death . This must be God's doing. Tears cascaded down my cheeks. Wake up Jaryl ! Jacq should be feeling worse right now. And as a boyfriend what are you doing . You shouldn't be here blaming her fate but be beside her to give her support . Show her our concern !
I breathed in, deep. I braced myself up and approached to the door of her room. Silently, i peered inside.
" JARYL ! You're here ! I'm so sorry ! I'm sure i made you really worried. Come over here and sit down. " She patted the spot on her bed. In disbelief, I staggered towards her. She must be feeling really terrible . How could she still put up a false front ? Daryl ! You ought to be ashamed by yourself. Even your girlfriend is stronger than you ! I wiped the shocked look from my face . Looking at her pale face, it tore my heart. I could feel my heart breaking . It's really difficult to accept the fact that she's going to be non-existent in this world just 7 days from now . Just mere 7 days.
Time. Never enough i guess. I'm not going to let myself be weak . As long as I'm here i have to be her wall. I have to be strong. From this point onwards it would all be joy and laughter . No sad memories . No more of them.
I spent the night in the hospital with her singing for her. Songs that we both loved since the time we were together. I closed my eyes when i finally believed that she has fallen asleep. Then, i felt her cold hands on my shoulder. She was whimpering softly. I could hardly make out the words that she was muttering. All i could hear were " Jaryl .. sorry . I couldn't show my true front to .. sorry " after that it ended with uneven sobs . I tried my best to pretend i was sleeping . My heart was shattering into pieces. Finally i couldn't contain my tears. I hugged her tight and we cried all the whole night till dawn arrived and fell asleep.
Every day was spent because i wanted happy memories till the last day . I want her to go in peace. I want her to leave this world in a smile.
2nd May 2008 . The day has arrived . Just these 7 days . I tried my best to give whatever i could to her . I gave all my love . Today would be a day filled with love till the end . The last hour, the last minute, the last second.
" Jaryl , could we sit the ferris wheel tonight ? I really wanted to sit it together with you"
"Sure jacq . I'll go buy the tickets. no worries . Pick you up at 11pm tonight ok ? "
" Thanks Jaryl "
11pm sharp. I waited outside her house. She trotted out from her house in her beautiful white dress. The one i commented once that i really loved it . She remembered till now . Sourness filled my soul. The feeling of sadness could almost overcome me in this moment. No . Get a grip on yourself . What she needs now is memories with you . Happy ones.
Looking down and with her in my arms i wished that time would stop forever . Yet i knew deep down in my heart this naiveness would never come true.
11.55pm . 5 more minutes . Suddenly something struck me . 7 days . But the doctor is not god. How could he have predicted her death . How accurate can it be?
Yet still i hugged her tighter. Deep down below i knew i doubted myself too.
" Jaryl . Thanks . For everything.. " Her voice trailed off as she touched her lips to mine. Closing my eyes i returned her kiss. I could feel her energy draining away.
12am sharp . My shoulders suddenly lost the touch of her hands. I opened my eyes. All i could see was her smile . A smile deep from the heart.

" The one left in the world would be made to suffer,
yet the one that has left would attain happiness in heaven... "

No comments: